Monday, November 11, 2013

Bass Clarinet Tips & Tricks

While the bass clarinet is similar to the Bb clarinet in several ways, there are also some key differences.

Embouchure:
The bass clarinet's embouchure has the same foundation as the Bb's, but it's more open.  The bigger mouthpiece takes up more space in your mouth, and a bigger reed needs more room to vibrate.  My embouchure on the Bb clarinet is tight and controlled, so I initially had trouble playing the bass clarinet.  I needed to get used to using more air and dropping my jaw more to get a good sound.

Posture:
I had to stack my case and several
books to get the right height.
Playing an instrument as big as the bass clarinet requires sitting right on the edge of the seat.  You must be able to reach the mouthpiece without tilting the instrument.  This may also involve raising or lowering its height.  Bass clarinets should use a metal peg to adjust the height.  (However, I didn't have a peg, so books worked just fine.)  The mouthpiece should go straight into the mouth, rather than at an angle like other clarinets, and the player shouldn't have to duck down or reach up in order to play.  Playing at the wrong angle will cause the reed to squeak or restrict air flow.

Reeds:
Bass clarinet reeds, like any other reeds, need to be wet in order to play properly.  However, they take a lot longer to get wet than other, smaller reeds since they're so thick.  I learned this within the first few practice sessions.  If a reed is not soaked properly, the tone will sound dry or airy, or some notes will have difficulty speaking.

Care:
The bronze metal shows how much I had
to adjust the length of the bass clarinet.
Big instruments have a way of breaking or leaking without the player realizing it.  I discovered this as soon as I put the clarinet in my mouth.  The instrument was about 25 cents sharp (I have no idea why), and I had to pull the neck out a lot in order for it to get in tune.  There are so many keys on the bass clarinet, and it's such a big instrument, so keep your instrument in good shape and have it serviced every year or so.  Your ensemble (and bass clarinet) will thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment