Sunday, March 9, 2014

"Aura Lee" on a new reed!

My new reed came on Friday!  Third time's definitely the charm - it's a lot easier to play now.  I still have to get used to a few things.

First, the fingerings are different.  The fingerings for F and F# are switched compared every other woodwind instrument I've played.  Here's a diagram.  Note how F for one instrument is basically the same as F# for the other, and vice versa.
Fingerings comparisons, clarinet vs. oboe.
Diagonal fingerings are almost the same.
Some oboe fingerings also require using the "half-hole."  No other instrument I've played so far has this feature, so I often forget when I should or shouldn't be using it.  However, it's a little similar to the use of the left pointer finger on flute - the notes where you need it are similar.)

Half-hole is in green, fully pressed key is in blue.
Effective because of the hole in the blue key.
Finally, I have to get used to using less air than I do with other instruments.  It's a smaller reed with a smaller opening, and I've heard my orchestra conductor say that oboists tend to store air they don't need.  If I take too big of a breath, it strains my lungs and embouchure and I end up getting a headache.  A little goes a long way with the oboe.

Here's "Aura Lee", first attempt (bad reed) and second attempt (good reed).

No comments:

Post a Comment