Sunday, January 19, 2014

Flute Attempts 1 and 2

So I got a flute last week, and my first lesson with Mrs. Harvison was last Thursday.  I learned many tips for embouchure and air; for example, I had to keep the mindset of blowing through a straw (a small, compressed stream of air) in order to make a sound.  It took a lot of fiddling, but I managed to play four notes that day: the Bb, C, E, and Eb in the top half of the staff.  The F was almost there.  (My friend from orchestra made a suggestion: blow so the air goes over the bottom of your chin.  It helped, plus I proved her wrong when she bet I wouldn't be able to produce a sound on the first day.  HA.)

Just now I practiced again and got a bit better at not making myself dizzy and lightheaded.  The tone isn't as airy if I stand up and watch my embouchure in the mirror.  Weird, but it works.  I managed to record "Hot Cross Buns" (which I'm getting tired of playing - are there any other simple songs to learn?)


I have to get used to tonguing, just like I did with the trumpet.  There isn't a mouthpiece in my mouth, so I have to experiment with where to put my tongue so I don't completely cut off the air flow.  The pitch sometimes jumps up an octave when I tongue, too.

To summarize, things to improve this week: stamina and tone.

And I need to record the saxophone chromatic scale, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment