Sunday, January 19, 2014

Saxophone in band

I played the saxophone in band twice last week.  Having very similar fingerings was very convenient since I could play the music without thinking too much about it.  Whatever differences there were, I had gotten used to them.  The biggest thing I realized is how out-of-tune our saxophones really are.  Really.  Okay, my intonation wasn't perfect (you have to play an instrument for a long time in order to figure out how to adjust each individual note), and I already knew saxophones are prone to being out of tune because of the way the mouthpiece is set up, but the pitch beats were even more audible when I was among them.  I also can't hear anything the woodwinds are playing, which is something I'm not used to.  The saxophone is definitely not a graceful instrument, but it's still interesting.  Other than the intonation, it went really well.  I might bring the saxophone to a pep band game or two so I can get video footage of myself playing.  I'm glad I rented a sax from Bethel.  It's more in tune, and the lower notes are easier to get out.

No comments:

Post a Comment